Barcelona Spain Gaudi Colonia Guell Crypt

Barcelona, Spain – Days 19 & 20

I got food poisoning at the airport!!! It was horrible and I had no choice but to take a flight while trying to keep explosive diarrhea in. I felt better the next day and went sightseeing with some friends. Afterward we stopped to share some sangria and get to know each other. The night was filled with pub crawls and clubs again. Unfortunately, this time I got kicked out of the clubs 🙁


Day 19 – Barcelona

Today was rather uneventful. I got to the airport super early after saying goodbye to Brandon and Joanna and slept there for a little bit. I woke up with a cold sweat, explosive diarrhea, and started vomiting in the bathroom. Looks like I got food poisoning from something. No Bueno 🙁 I started feeling a bit better and boarded my flight. I forgot to buy more deodorant after I ran out and had a horrible time at the airport. I could smell myself (and a little puke on my shoe somewhere) and apparently everyone else could too. Now that I was packed in a plane next to tons of people I felt really bad, but 4 hours later I was in Barcelona. As soon as I got to the hostel I ran straight to the showers. After the shower I felt like me again and I slept most of the day and worked for the rest from my laptop. One of the main people I work with had also gone on vacation and forgot to do something, so I had to deal with BS all day proving that it wasn’t my fault and that I would help them out anyway. I didn’t get any sleep that night and think I might be quitting soon.

Day 20 – Barcelona

I woke up at noon once again. I’m noticing a trend… I met up with the group (Tracy, April, Julio, Harel, and Matt) and went to Plaza de Espania. We took the L1 metro straight to Plaza de Espania, where quite a few attractions are. The first thing we went to see was the giant National Art Museum of Catalunya. We climbed all the stairs (there are escalators right next to them, but apparently we missed them) and finally got to the top completely out of breath. The girls took every opportunity to stop for a photo-shoot, so we had some respite at least. At the top there was a guy with 6 colored (food coloring I’m assuming) doves that walked up and put one on Harel’s shoulder. Julio decided to get on the action and there was yet another photo-shoot. Since Harel didn’t ask for the bird, he decided not to pay the guy and brushed him off while Julio paid for his experience. Matt wanted to go into the museum, but we ended up walking around it instead. On the way we found a few naked statues and had a field day with them!

On the walk we talked about a few dark poems. The one I remember was rather morbid and was called “And then there were none” or “Ten Little Soldier Boys”.

• Ten little soldier boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were Nine.
• Nine little soldier boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were Eight.
• Eight little soldier boys traveling in Devon; One said he’d stay there and then there were Seven.
• Seven little soldier boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were Six.
• Six little soldier boys playing with a hive; A bee stung one and then there were Five.
• Five little soldier boys going in for law; One got into chancery and then there were Four.
• Four little soldier boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were Three.
• Three little soldier boys walking in the Zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were Two.
• Two little soldier boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was One.
• One little soldier boy left all alone; He went and hanged himself

After circling the giant cathedral like building we saw the Olympic stadium, surrounding parks, and were going to go to Castle Montjuic, but it looked way too far to walk. We decided to go get some food before journeying onward. Since I remembered the area from last year’s trip, I took them down a side street with tons of food. Matt went with a doner kebab and I saw a tapas place that had Sangria. I got a liter for everyone to share and chocolate & churros (completely different than the cinnamon crusted churros in the USA). We polished off the sangria quickly and got to know about each other’s lives a bit more.

I decided to split off from the group after that because they were going to see things that I had already seen. The first thing I saw was Casa Vincens, which is another Gaudi work, but it was closed for renovations until 2016/2017. After that I realized I made a promise to some people to go out with them later, so I headed back to the hostel to get ready and work a bit before going out.

This was the night I did the pub crawl with the hostel. What a shit show!!!! We had both 360 hostels meet up and go to a small bar down a side alley. There were around 35 drunk tourists in a small alley under houses, so it was noisy, packed, and altogether too much. The bouncers kept telling us to be quiet because there were houses above us, so I decided to run down the street and grab a sandwich by recommendation of 2 girls I met.

After the bar we went to 2 clubs. The first was a 2 story club where we were supposed to get a free beer and cheap entrance to Razmatazz later that night for 5 Euros. It was so packed around the bar it took most people an hour to get their first drink. I had both April and Julio trying to borrow my dragon shirt, so after I dodged them security found me and told me I had to change. After another hour of shenanigans we were off to Razmatazz! We got to the club and one of the people in our group was so drunk that he ran into the barricades for the lines and a security guard kicked him out. We went straight to the VIP line and went through security where they found my flasks (most places don’t do pat downs, but this one did). They let me in, but told me I had to pay the $40 cover and couldn’t use my VIP card. I wasn’t about to pay that, so I grabbed my flask from the trash can and went around the corner to change. Apparently they recognized me because I had 3 changes of outfits in my bag and tried getting in with each one! After the letdown of not getting in I walked back to the hostel and worked all night.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2018 The Roving Cowboy LLC